Discord may be a synonym for disagreement, but it sure doesn’t mean you can’t be nice when exchanging opinions with other people. This chat app can be an excellent way to spend your free time communicating with members interested in topics you also like.
However, it’s not unheard of that sometimes a simple misunderstanding or different opinion can lead to a more serious dispute. It happens often in the online world, where you can’t see how your words affect others.
If you experience an unpleasant situation on Discord and wish to report someone’s inappropriate comments or behavior, here’s how to do so.
How to Report a User on Discord using the iPhone App
Reporting a user on Discord is a straightforward process on iPhones, and other iOS devices, such as iPads. The complaint process is easier to use than on a desktop computer, where you need to enter specific ID codes.
Thankfully, iPhones make reporting users on Discord simple. However, the fact that the process is so quick doesn’t mean you should report any objectionable message. You should ensure that the specific user is breaking Discord’s rules.
Note: You can only report an existing message. If the message is deleted, you can’t report it anymore. That’s why it’s essential to keep all your messages, even if they’re hurtful, until the problem is resolved.
- Locate the message you want to report and tap the top of the message and hold.
- From the pop-up menu, choose “Report” at the bottom of the screen.
If the above method to report Discord users doesn’t work, enable Developer Mode and report them using the user ID and message ID.
Report Someone on Discord using Their IDs on Your iPhone:
If you need to report someone’s Discord account on an iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the Discord app on your iPhone. Then, tap on the profile icon in the lower right-hand corner.
- Locate and select “Appearance.”
- Find “Developer Mode” and slide the toggle to the “ON” position.
- Now, get the necessary IDs to report the user – their ID and the message ID.
- To get the user’s ID, open their profile, and tap on the three-dot icon on the top right corner and choose Copy ID from the options.
- To copy the message ID, locate the message you want to report, tap and hold, and then select Copy Message Link from the list.
Note: Don’t forget to paste the first ID somewhere so that you can copy it later. The second ID you copy will overwrite it if you don’t paste it somewhere first. For example, you can use the Notes app on your iPhone.
- Once you’ve collected the IDs, go to the Discord Trust & Safety center and file your report so the Discord team can evaluate it. Provide the copied IDs and a short explanation of the issue in the Description box.
How to Report a User on Discord using the Android App
Reporting a user on the Android app works similarly to iOS. Follow these steps to report a user:
- Launch the Discord app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the user settings: Tap your “profile image” to access the menu.
- Scroll to find the “App Settings” tab and tap it to open it.
- From the new screen, choose “Behavior.”
- Under “Chat Behavior,” toggle the “Developer Mode” option to the “ON” position.
- Once you’ve enabled “Developer Mode,” find the message you want to report and its author. Tap the “user’s image” to open their profile and copy their “ID.”
- Tap and hold the message and then choose “Share.”
- Select “Copy to clipboard.”
- Proceed to paste the “User ID” and the “Message ID” into the “Description” box in the “Trust and Safety Center” menu, then describe your issue.
After you submit your report, the Discord team will tackle it as soon as possible.
Of course, you can always report hate speech or a similar issue to the moderators of a server. Some problems get resolved by talking to a user first if they wrote something that doesn’t align with the guidelines.
You can always officially report it to the Trust and Safety team in more severe cases of a rule violation.
How to Report a User on Discord using the Desktop App
Are you using the Discord app on your computer? Here’s how you can report a user on the Windows app:
- Open the Discord app on your computer and head over to the server where the offender is communicating.
- Right-click the users’ Discord ID and click “Copy ID.”
Along with the IDs, you’ll need to provide your email address and briefly explain why you’re reporting this person. When you’re done, click on “Submit,” and that’s it.
If you want to know what happens with your report, check your email inbox regularly because that’s where you’ll receive your reply.
How to Report a Discord Message
If someone put something in chat that violates Discord’s terms of service, you can report that message. You can do this on a desktop or the mobile app. Keep in mind, you cannot report a message on Discord without the Message Link. Here’s how to obtain that link:
- Open Discord and navigate to the chat in question. Find the message you’d like to report and right-click it.
- Select Copy Message Link.
- Use this link to submit a report to Discord’s Trust & Safety team.
Now, you’re ready to report the user to the Trust and Safety team. You have both the User ID and Message Link/ID. If there isn’t a specific message you want to report, but only the user and his behavior in general, you won’t need the message ID. In that case, you can skip the last set of instructions.
Be sure to paste the message ID link from step two into the description box. Discord cannot investigate a message without that link.
iOS and Android users will obtain the link by long-pressing the message. If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, tap the Copy Message Link option. But, Android users will need to tap the Share button to copy the link.
How to Report a Discord User for Being Under 13
Most social platforms will only allow you to create a profile if you’re over 13 years old. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to prove someone’s younger than this age. Still, if you have a reason to suspect someone has been breaking this rule, you can report them and let the Discord team take it from there. However, you should know that Discord probably won’t ban this person unless you have solid proof of their age.
Want to know more about reporting people on Discord? Here is some additional information you may find helpful.
Can I Easily Block Someone on Discord?
Yes. You can use any device to block someone’s direct messages or profile; then, you won’t be able to see each other on the platform anymore.
1. If you only want to block the messages, open the “Privacy Settings” by clicking the down arrow on the upper left corner of the screen, next to the server’s name.
2. Switch the toggle to disable the “Allow direct messages from server members” option.
1. If you want to block a user, click a person’s username to open their profile.
2. Click the three-dot icon next to the “Send Friend Request” button.
3. A drop down menu will appear, select “Block“, and that’s it.
When Is It Appropriate to Report a User on Discord?
As mentioned, it’s essential to be sure that someone’s behavior or messages are breaking Discord’s rules. Here are the most common reasons for reporting a user on this platform:
• Sending spam messages
• Harassing or threatening other users
• Sharing photos of animal cruelty
• Sharing child pornography
• Violating IP rights
• Promoting self-harm or suicide
• Distributing viruses
You can also report someone if they’re picking on you specifically. Discord isn’t a platform where you should feel threatened in any way – it’s a place to enjoy chatting with people who like the same things as you. But before you report a user, you can try talking to them or even asking a server moderator for help. If that doesn’t work, reporting someone may be the only option.
How do I take back a report I filed on Discord?
Perhaps you accidentally reported the wrong person or now feel like the report was unnecessary after further review. It is possible to retract your complaint, but you’ll need to contact Discord to do it. When you visit the Contact page, choose the option for Appeals in the How can we help dropdown.
How do you report a suspicious user?
According to Discord, you should send them a direct email. You can also use the official report form and report this user like any other report. Just add the reason to the Description box and use the Attachments option to add proof if you have it.
It’s always a good idea to take a quick screen capture if you’re going to file a report. But, according to Discord, you only need the Message ID and User ID (shown above) to submit a report.
Make Your Discord Environment Better
When someone’s toxic or even cruel in an environment where you should make friends and have fun, you have to do something. Reporting a user who’s inappropriate on Discord doesn’t only benefit you, but it can also make everyone else’s experience on this platform much better.
Why should anyone have to deal with rude comments or behavior online? You wouldn’t put up with such things in the real world, so there’s no need to tolerate harassment in the virtual world, either.
Have you ever wanted to report someone on Discord? How did you solve the situation? Share your experience in the comments section below.